SYDNEY, Australia, 21 June 2023 – Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform, has announced the next of its 2023 Travellers’ Choice® Awards, revealing the Best of the Best ‘Things to Do’ around the world right now. The highly-anticipated list highlights travellers’ must-do activities across the globe, inspiring adventure-seeking Aussies to plan the ultimate holiday itinerary.
Analysing 12-months of Tripadvisor review data (1 May 2022-31 April 2023) from millions of travellers worldwide, Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best ‘Things to Do’ is a definitive list of extraordinary on-trip experiences, curated by travellers. Categories include Top Overall Experiences, Top Attractions, Amusement Parks & Water Parks, Bucket List Experiences, Cultural & Historical Tours, Food & Culinary Experiences, Nature & Outdoor Activities, Sailing & Day Cruises, Snorkeling & Water Sports and Wine Experiences. New for 2023 is Family-Friendly Experiences–activities that are great for kids and the parents tagging along with them.
Kate Urquhart, General Manager, Experiences at Tripadvisor, said: “Experiences turn travellers into adventurers, connecting them with the local community and giving them unforgettable stories for years to come. With more than 300,000 bookable experiences in over 250,000 destinations worldwide, Tripadvisor helps people access the best things to do globally, and we’re committed to expanding that number of tours and attractions across every destination. These awards are a testament to the businesses dedicated to ensuring the Tripadvisor community enjoys the most memorable trips, and we’re grateful to everyone who took the time to share their reviews and help fellow travellers plan their next escape.”
Top Rated Travel Experiences of 2023 Revealed
With demand for experiential travel skyrocketing, Tripadvisor’s Best of the Best “Things to Do” is an essential guide for travellers looking to plan a trip to remember. Delving into the collective wisdom of the travel community, this year’s list of Top Overall Experiences in the World encompasses everything from foodie trails and cultural tours to eco adventures.
The No.1 Top Experience on the planet for 2023 is a full day tour of the Hawaiian island of O’ahu. On the Grand Circle Island and Haleiwa Tour, travellers will visit all the island’s top sights, including the impressive Hālona Blowhole and the Byodo-In Temple, as well as the island’s most beautiful beaches and surf spots.
Closer to home, a 12 person Chartered Snorkelling Tour of the Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas, has taken out the No. 1 Top Experience in Australia for the second year running, as well as No.2 spot in the South Pacific. Operated by Abc Snorkel Charters, the experience includes a full day out on the reef, exploring some of the more remote snorkelling spots. And, with one instructor for every six participants, promises truly personalised experience.
One for the thrillseekers, Ziplining Forest Adventure - The Original Canopy Tour Rotorua in New Zealand is the No.1 Top Experience in the South Pacific for 2023–as well as the No.3 ‘Nature and Outdoor Activity’ in the world, and No.12 ‘Bucket List Experience’ in the world. On this 3-hour adventure, participants can experience Rotorua’s centuries-old redwood forests from unbelievable vantage points, soaring across 600m of ziplines and crossing some phenomenal swing bridges.
World of Wonders: This Year’s Must-See Attractions
With Tripadvisor’s latest Seasonal Travel Index revealing that half of global travellers will prioritise visiting attractions on their upcoming trips, Tripadvisor has compiled a list of the world’s best. An architectural marvel, Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia holds on to the top spot for a second year running as the No. 1 Top Attraction in the world, followed by Rome’s Colosseum, which also took second place in 2022. Anne Frank’s House in Amsterdam and The Dubai Fountain in the UAE are new additions to the world list for 2023, taking third and fourth place respectively.
In the South Pacific, the list of Top Attractions includes a mix of iconic sights and hidden gems. Sydney has three attractions in the Top 10 Attractions in the South Pacific for 2023, with the iconic Sydney Opera House ranking No.1, Sydney Harbour at No.3 and Sydney Harbour Bridge at No.5. Rounding out the Top 5 in the South Pacific is Perth’s Kings Park and Botanic Garden at No.2 and Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa in Wellington, New Zealand at No.4.
Things To Do: Winner Highlights
- Family-Friendly Experiences: This new sub-category for 2023 highlights the most loved days out by parents and children alike. The No. 1 Family-Friendly Experience on this inaugural list is Private Dolphin Tour in Hilton Head Island in South Carolina, USA. An Aussie experience, Pirate Cruise in Mandurah, has also made the World list this year, ranking 12. See all winners here.
- Amusement Parks & Water Parks: For the best places to scream, splash, and get your adrenaline fix, Siam Park in Tenerife, Spain is the No.1 Amusement Park and Water Park in the world for 2023. See all the winners here.
- Bucket List Experiences: For unique things to do that’ll make your trip—and give you the best stories for later, Red Dunes ATV, Sandsurf, Camels, Stargazing & 5* BBQ in Dubai, UAE is the No. 1 Bucket List Experience in the world for 2023. See all the winners here.
- Cultural & Historical Tours: Perfect for travellers keen to discover a new city on foot, bike (or even Vespa) with the best guides in the game, the No. 1 Cultural & Historical Tour in the world for 2023 is Ubud Tour - Best of Ubud in Bali. See all the winners here.
- Food & Culinary Experiences: For experiences with great taste (literally), the No.1 Food & Culinary Experience this year is Reykjavik Food Walk - Local Foodie Adventure in Iceland - taking the top spot for a second year running. See all the winners here.
- Nature & Outdoor Activities: Travellers in search of fresh air, new heights and wildlife sightings can look no further than the top Nature & Outdoor Activities. No. 1 in the world for 2023 is the Grand Circle Island and Haleiwa Tour, O’ahu, Hawaii, which is also No. 1 Top Experience in the world 2023. See all the winners here.
- Sailing & Day Cruises: Get out on the open water with traveller-loved expeditions. No. 1 in the world: Niagara Falls American-Side Tour with Maid of the Mist Boat Ride in New York, USA. An Australian experience, 2 Night Whitsunday Islands Cruise on New Horizon from Airlie Beach, has also ranked on the World charts at No.9. See all the winners here.
- Snorkelling & Water Sports: From snorkelling and scuba diving to kayaking and surfing, these are the best things to do under—and over—the sea. No. 1 in the world is San Juan Guided Snorkel Tour, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Closer to home, ABC Snorkel Charters Port Douglas has taken the no.6 spot in the world this year. See all the winners here.
- Wine Experiences: Sip your way through these top-rated tours and tastings. The No. 1 Wine Experience in the world this year is Chianti Safari: Tuscan Villas with vineyards, Cheese, Wine & Lunch in Tuscany, Italy. Closer to home, three Aussie wine experiences have made the top 25 in the world this year: Hop-On Hop-Off Barossa Valley Wine Region Tour from Adelaide at No.18, The All About Margaret River Tour: Wine, Coffee, Lunch and Forest at No.20 and Day Trip with Chef-Led Hunter Valley Gourmet Food and Wine from Sydney at No.25. See all the winners here.
See all the winners across subcategories here.
- ENDS -
Travellers’ Choice Methodology
The 2023 Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best “Thing to Do” Awards are determined based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings posted on Tripadvisor over the 12-month period between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023, as well as an additional editorial process.
Tripadvisor is proud to serve a broad and diverse community of travellers from all over the world. As such, Tripadvisor reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any property, business, destination or point of interest listed on Tripadvisor for an award based on additional factors that reflect Tripadvisor corporate policies and values. For more details on Tripadvisor's awards policy, see here.
Tripadvisor Seasonal Travel Index Methodology
A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 2,400 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between March 17-27, 2023 across six countries - Australia, Italy, Japan, Singapore, U.K. & U.S.
Site behavioural data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform, gathered between January 10 2023- April 10 2023, for searches made by travellers in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Japan and Singapore for travel between June 01 through August 31, 2023.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travellers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travellers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 1 billion reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travellers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type. The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, March 2023
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org