LONDON, UK, May 23, 2023 – Today, Tripadvisor® announced the winners of its 2023 Travellers’ Choice® Best of the Best Hotel Awards. Just in time for the summer travel season, these are the very best hotels in the world, according to global travellers.
Analysing 12-months of Tripadvisor review data (January 1, 2022 - December 31, 2022) from over 1.5 million hotels, Traveller’s Choice Best of the Best Hotels reveals travellers’ favourite accommodations across 10 categories. In addition to the definitive list of Top Hotels, sub-categories include All-inclusive, B&Bs, Family-Friendly, Hottest New Hotels, Luxury, Out of the Ordinary Hotels, Small Hotels and two new additions for 2023; Best Hotels for Sleep and Best Hotels with Spas.
The UK’s Finest
When it comes to the UK, British hospitality steals the show in the B&Bs category. Winner of the World’s Best B&B for the third year running is The Toulson Court in Scarborough. With over 2,000 ‘excellent’ reviews on the site, guests have praised this B&B for offering a warm welcome, excellent service and little extras - including the singing chef! One recent Tripadvisor reviewer claimed they would have given 10 stars if they could, and it still wouldn’t have been enough.
James and Angela Rusden, owners of The Toulson Court Bed and Breakfast said: “We really were not expecting the amazing news to be crowned World’s Best B&B for the third year running! We are truly amazed and delighted to win this award again. It’s fantastic not only for us, but for the town of Scarborough and all its attractions.”
British B&Bs make up four out of the Top 10 B&Bs in the World. Making their debut on the global list, Highcliffe House, Lynton, on the Exmoor coast, comes in at No 4, Gloucester House, Weymouth at No. 6 and Glencoe Guest House, Keswick, in the Lake District, at No. 10. On the UK list, Tourquay and Weymouth are the places to be for a top B&B experience, taking two top 10 places each in the UK’s Best B&Bs list.
For those looking for a little more indulgence, Shangri-La The Shard in London is Europe and the UK’s No. 1 Top Hotel (No. 4 in the world), as well as being named 6th Best Luxury Hotel in the world (No. 1 in UK and No. 3 in Europe). Haven Hall Hotel on the Isle of Wight was named second Best Luxury Hotel in the UK (No. 15 in Europe) and the Grove of Narberth in Wales, No. 3 in the UK and No. 19 Europe. Both properties also took places in the Small Hotels category with Grove of Narberth named No. 1 Small Hotel in the UK (10th in Europe) and Haven Hall Hotel coming second in the UK and 13th in Europe.
Boutique hotel, No. 1 By GuestHouse, York, was named 9th Hottest New Hotel in the World and The Coal Exchange Hotel, situated in the old coal and shipping exchange building in Cardiff Bay, came 19th in the world in the Out of the Ordinary category.
Top 10 Hotels in the UK
- Shangri-La The Shard, London
- The Resident Covent Garden, London
- Hotel 41, London
- The Montcalm Royal London House, London
- The Milestone Hotel and Residences, London
- Dakota Manchester, Manchester
- Aviator Hampshire, Farnborough
- Claridge’s, London
- The Chesterfield Mayfair, London
- Tynedale Hotel, Llandudno
Hotel Headlines: 2023 Trends
- With more than half (54%) of global travellers looking to ‘relax and rejuvenate’, according to Tripadvisor’s Summer Travel Index, Tripadvisor has launched two brand new subcategories for 2023 to help everyone find their zen: The Best Hotels with Spas & and the Best Hotels for Sleep.
- The 2023 awards feature many new winners, suggesting that as more people travelled and left reviews over the past year, they ventured to new places, both at home and abroad.
- Asia tops the charts for travellers this year, proving that the market has bounced back as a tourism destination. Nine of the top 25 Hottest New Hotels are in Asia, along with eight of the Top Hotels in the world, including the esteemed No. 1 spot.
- Brazil takes the crown as the country with the most winners on the world list this year, and Istanbul has the most winners of any other city.
Sarah Firshein, Head of Editorial at Tripadvisor, said: “It’s clear that our community ventured far and wide in the last year: our 10 winning subcategories encompass 37 regions around the world and include a wide range of amazing places to stay.
“An opulent palace in Jaipur topped the charts, while hotels ranging from a ‘glamping’ retreat in Patagonia to a rock ‘n’ roll–themed boutique in Boston made their mark as well. As our savvy reviewers know, hotels can sometimes be the entire reason for the trip—I’m personally very excited to consult this list as I plot out the next year of holidays with my own family.”
World Class Stays
This year’s Top Hotels list is a diverse global ranking with winners from 19 countries around the world. The No. 1 Hotel in the world for 2023 is Rambagh Palace in Jaipur, India. Dubbed ‘The Jewel of Jaipur’, this 1835 palace-turned-luxurious hotel holds unbelievable extravagance. A new winner for 2023, Rambagh Palace has over 5,000 five-bubble reviews and is beloved for its polo bar, historic suites, and high tea.
Top 10 Hotels in the World
- Rambagh Palace – Jaipur, India
- Ozen Reserve Bolifushi – Bolifushi Island, Maldives
- Hotel Colline de France – Gramado, Brazil
- Shangri-La The Shard, London – London, United Kingdom
- The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
- JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Romance Istanbul Hotel – Istanbul, Türkiye
- Ikos Dassia – Dassia, Greece
- Ikos Andalusia – Estepona, Spain
- Padma Resort Ubud – Puhu, Indonesia
Best of the Rest
- Best Hotels for Sleep: For travellers seeking out sweet dreams, Dromoland Castle Hotel in Ireland, is rated No. 1 in the world in this inaugural category. Welcoming guests since the 16th century, this grand hotel is tucked away in 450 acres of land - the perfect secluded spot for catching some ZZZs.
- Best Hotels with Spas: Another new category for 2023. While many hotels aim to induce zen, none succeed quite like The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong, the No. 1 rated Spa Hotel. This is the “highest” hotel in the world, so it’s worth visiting the spa on the 116th floor for the views alone.
- Hottest New Hotels: As the hospitality industry continues to rebound, many new hotels have opened their doors and OBLU SELECT Lobigili in the Maldives ranks No. 1 in the world. This 5-star resort, exclusively for adults, features nature-inspired designs that bring to life a secluded, castaway feel.
- Out-of-the-Ordinary Hotels: Those looking for more bucket list adventures and Instagram-worthy photo-ops can explore Patagonia Camp in Chile which is No. 1 in the world. Located within Torres del Paine National Park, this is the first luxury camp in South America with a chic collection of glamorous Yurts.
- Best Family-Friendly Hotels: Planning a family getaway can be difficult enough. To take some of the pressure off, Tripadvisor spotlights the best stays offering fun stuff for kids, plus all the perks for parents. No.1 in the world is Ikos Andalusia in Spain.
- Best Luxury Hotels: For travellers after the ultimate indulgence, this list recognises places with above-and-beyond hospitality and amenities for days. Also the No.1 Top Hotel for 2023, Rambagh Palace in India is the No.1 Luxury Hotel in the world.
- Best Small Hotels: Small hotels can make a big impression–none more so than the winners of this category, which highlights travellers’ favourite hotels with 30 rooms or less. White House Hotel in Istanbul takes the No.1 spot in the world for the second consecutive year.
- Best All-Inclusive Hotels: For the hotels that hold everything you could ever need (and more), all in one place, Ozen Reserve Bolifushi in the Maldives is No.1 in the world.
All of the winners across regions can be found here: tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels.
The 2023 Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Hotel Awards are determined based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings posted on Tripadvisor over the 12-month period between January 1 and December 31, 2022, as well as an additional editorial process.
Tripadvisor is proud to serve a broad and diverse community of travellers from all over the world. As such, Tripadvisor reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any property, business, destination or point of interest listed on Tripadvisor for an award based on additional factors that reflect Tripadvisor corporate policies and values. For more details on Tripadvisor's awards policy, see here.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travellers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travellers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 1 billion reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travellers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type. The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, March 2023
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files
For further information: EMEApressoffice@tripadvisor.com