LONDON, UK, 21 July, 2021 -- A Lake District restaurant has today been named the best fine dining restaurant in the world as Tripadvisor® announces the winners of its 2021 Travellers' Choice® "Best of the Best" Restaurants awards.
This year, the awards include five new categories of must-visit restaurants no matter where you are or what you fancy, based on traveller reviews of people who have dined there before. From favourite Fine Dining establishments for the more discerning taste buds and the Best Brunch Spots to fill up on avo toast and mimosas, to the Hottest New Restaurants and Best Vegan Spots serving up some of the tastiest plant-based grub. These award-winning restaurants have something to suit every type of palate.
The title of world, Europe and UK #1 Fine Dining restaurant goes to The Old Stamp House Restaurant. At the heart of the Lake District village of Ambleside, housed in the former office of William Wordsworth, this intimate restaurant boasting a Michelin Star celebrates the food and cultural heritage of Cumbria with dishes such as black pudding “bon bon” and crab from the west coast of Cumbria.
If great food that won’t break the bank is what you’re after, the Everyday Eats category fits the brief and this year it’s Newcastle’s Rio Brazilian Steakhouse which tops the UK list, offering diners a traditional Brazilian Churrasco dining experience.
New this year, the Picture-Perfect Restaurants category celebrates those places that have a serious wow factor, not just for the food but the restaurant setting as well. These stunning spots are worth a thousand selfies and it’s not surprising to see why Koral Restaurant in Nusa Dua, Bali has been crowned world #1. At this epic aquarium restaurant you’ll feel as though you’re dining underwater as tropical fish swim around and above you and a hypnotic soundtrack plays to give the full below the waves experience.
If you’re looking for somewhere to enjoy everyone’s favourite weekend pastime, the Best Brunch Spots category - another newbie for 2021 - has you covered. Topping the world and the UK list is Scarlett Green in London’s Soho. These guys truly know their brunch, offering both sweet and savoury versions. And the icing on the cake? You can make it bottomless with 90 minutes of free-flowing fizz and mimosas - what’s not to love about that?
“It’s no secret that the restaurant industry has taken a hit over the past year or so, but the good news is that would-be diners all over the world are hungrier than ever to dine out again,” said Martin Verdon-Roe, general manager of Hospitality Solutions at Tripadvisor. “There is so much good out there to explore this summer and beyond and no matter what you’re craving, the Best of the Best Restaurants Awards is on hand to serve as a menu of options to satisfy your appetite.”
Below you’ll find the #1 restaurants in the UK and the world across the seven award subcategories. The full list of winners can be found here.
UK Top 10 Fine Dining Restaurant Award-Winners
- The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, Cumbria
- The Kitchin, Edinburgh, Scotland
- L'Enclume, Cartmel, Cumbria
- Adam’s, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Moor Hall, Augton, Lancashire
- Winteringham Fields, Winteringham, Lincolnshire
- Maison Bleue Restaurant, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
- Outlaw's New Road, Port Isaac, Cornwall
- Restaurant Sat Bains With Rooms, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- John's House Restaurant, Mountsorrel, Leicestershire
UK Top 10 Date Night Restaurant Award-Winners
- The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, Cumbria
- Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Padstow, Cornwall
- Antidote, Ilfracombe, Devon
- Corner Grill House, York, Yorkshire
- Samphire Seafood Restaurant, Inveraray, Scotland
- Marmalade's Bistro, Sheringham, Norfolk
- Kysty Ambleside, Ambleside, Cumbria
- Wayfarer Bistro, Robin Hoods Bay, Yorkshire
- One Fish Street, St Ives, Cornwall
- The Hall - Restaurant of St Mary’s Hall Hotel, Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly
UK Best Vegan Restaurant Award-Winners
- Cosmic Kitchen, Plymouth, Devon
- Twelve Eatery, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Offbeet New Forest, Southampton, Hampshire
- Indigo Greens, Liverpool, Lancashire
- Tansy's Pantry, Godshill, Hampshire
- The Tipsy Vegan, Norwich, Norfolk
- Amrutha Lounge, London
- Cafe Van Gogh, London
- Corarima, Wakefield, Yorkshire
- BA-HA, Birmingham, West Midlands
UK Best Brunch Restaurant Award-Winners
- Scarlett Green – London
- Salt Cafe, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Jo & Co Restaurants, Hove, East Sussex
- E-Street Cafe, Glasgow, Scotland
- ToasT Oxted, Oxted, Surrey
- Fore Street Cafe Bar, Newquay, Cornwall
- Homeground Coffee + Kitchen, Windermere, Cumbria
- The Fig, Rye, East Sussex
- Robinsons Cafe, York, Yorkshire
- FINT, Leeds, Yorkshire
Looking for a restaurant on the go this summer? Discover traveller-recommended restaurants nearby and view them on a map via the new and improved Tripadvisor app for iOS and Android. Travellers can download the new Tripadvisor app via the App Store or Google Play.
The 2021 Best of the Best Restaurants Awards are calculated based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings for restaurants on Tripadvisor collected from 1 January, 2020 - 30 April, 2021, specific to each award subcategory, as well as an additional editorial process.
Tripadvisor is proud to serve a broad and diverse community of travellers from all over the world. As such, Tripadvisor reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any property, business, destination or point of interest listed on Tripadvisor for an award based on additional factors that reflect Tripadvisor corporate policies and values. For more details on Tripadvisor's awards policy, see here.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travellers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travellers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 887 million reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travellers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type.
The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of online travel brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps, including the following websites:
www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com, www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, March 2021
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log file