AUSTRALIA, Feb. 23, 2021 — As lockdown has left most of us longing to be somewhere — anywhere else than stuck at home, Tripadvisor® has just the thing to help you escape, as its annual Travelers’ Choice® Best of the Best Awards for Beaches are revealed today.
Highlighting travelers’ favorite beaches across the globe, from sweeping white sand and turquoise waters in tropical climates, to dramatic cliffs and pounding surf in some of the most secluded spots on Earth, the awards are based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travelers for beaches, gathered over a 12-month period. New for 2021, the Best of the Best Beaches also takes into account the volume of “saves” for beaches on Tripadvisor, reflecting the position that many travelers were in for much of 2020 — unable to travel, desperate to travel, lusting after the beaches they wished they could visit.
In 2021, Australia’s Whitehaven Beach takes the top spot amongst global travelers and is also the number one beach in the South Pacific. The remote Australian paradise, located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, is only accessible by boat, seaplane or helicopter and is lauded by travelers for its gorgeous soft white sand and postcard perfect turquoise water.
Another Australian gem on the World’s list is Turquoise Bay, rated sixth in the world and second in the South Pacific. Of the 10 best beaches in the South Pacific, Australia dominates the list, with the top 50% located across Queensland and Western Australia.
“Your last trip to the beach probably feels like a lifetime ago, but with vaccine programs rolling out worldwide, safely making that beach getaway a reality just might be in reach! In fact, a recent Tripadvisor survey revealed that 60% of travelers are very likely to take a beach trip in 2021¹,” said Christine Maguire, vice president and general manager, global media business at Tripadvisor. “Whether your preferred kind of beach is preened and pristine or rugged and rough, this list of travelers’ favorites is just the inspiration you need to get planning your next beach break.”
For the complete list of Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best award-winning beaches for 2021, visit: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches
Top 10 Beaches in the South Pacific
1. Whitehaven Beach - Whitsunday Island, Australia
Travelers say: From the crystal clear turquoise water to the miles of pure white sand, it is truly breathtaking. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Whitehaven Beach Half-Day Cruises
2. Turquoise Bay - Exmouth, Australia Travelers say: This pristine beach is amazing. It is a fantastic beach for snorkeling, swimming and walking. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Ningaloo Whale Shark Swim on a Luxury Sailing Catamaran
3. Cape Le Grand National Park - Esperance, Australia Travelers say: The colours of the ocean, the sand, the sky make this area unmissable. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Explore Highlights Esperance 2 Hour Guided Tour
4. Greens Pool - Denmark, Australia Travelers say: Beach is amazing! Safe swimming and great for exploring with kids. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Check out the Elephant Rocks along the coastline
5. Cable Beach - Broome, Australia Travelers say: Searching for marine life in the rock pools at low tide is a highlight. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: 1 Hour Broome Sunset Camel Tour
6. Matira Beach - Bora Bora, French Polynesia Travelers say: A long sandy beach where you can walk out for ages and still only be up to your waist. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Bora Bora 4WD Tour, Lunch at Bloody Mary's & Eco Shark & Ray Snorkel Cruise
7. Piscine Naturelle - Ile Des Pins, New Caledonia Travelers say: Great place for a refreshing swim and a snorkel to check out the fish Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Check out the the beautiful Oro Bay
8. Ohope Beach - Whakatane, New Zealand Travelers say: Ohope Beach is truly a beach where there is space for everyone. We love going to Ohope Beach for family picnics. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Amazing views at Kohi Point Lookout
9. Kaiteriteri Beach - Kaiteriteri, New Zealand Travelers say: You can hire kayaks to explore the bay or go further to visit the Split Apple Rock. Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Full-Day Abel Tasman National Park Hiking Tour with Cruise
10. Mt Maunganui Main Beach - Mount Maunganui, New Zealand Travelers say: Great beach for swimming and body boarding the waves - the sand is so soft.
Top-Rated Thing to Do Nearby: Rotorua Cultural and Geothermal Experience from Tauranga
Top 10 Beaches in the World
1. Whitehaven Beach - Whitsunday Island, Australia 2. Santa Maria Beach - Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba 3. Baia do Sancho - Fernando de Noronha, Brazil 4. Grace Bay Beach - Providenciales, Turks and Caicos 5. Saint Pete Beach - Florida, United States 6. Turquoise Bay - Exmouth, Australia 7. Eagle Beach - Eagle Beach, Aruba 8. Spiaggia dei Conigli - Lampedusa, Italy 9. Ka'anapali Beach - Hawaii, United States 10. Baía dos Golfinhos - Praia da Pipa, Brazil
The Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards for Beaches honor travelers’ favorite beaches worldwide based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travelers, as well as the volume of “saves”, gathered over a 12-month period (January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020).
Travelers can "save" their travel ideas and plans on Tripadvisor by tapping the heart icon on places to stay, restaurants, and things to do, such as beaches. Tripadvisor views saves as a great indicator of what travelers are interested in doing in the future.
1. A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of 2,330 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between 28/12/20 through 10/01/21 across six countries - U.S., UK, Australia, Italy, Singapore and Japan
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 884 million reviews and opinions of 7.9 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 49 markets and 28 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type.
The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of online travel brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps, including the following websites: www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.bookatable.co.uk, and www.delinski.com), www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, December 2020 ** Source: Tripadvisor internal log file