With school holidays approaching in September, families heading for a Tokyo getaway have a variety of activities to consider that will appeal to kids and the young-at-heart. We are talking about going head on with a sumo and picking up skills from an actual ninja warrior.
Did you know?
- 4 in 5 travellers from Singapore have visited Japan at least once
- More than a third have visited Japan five or more times
Findings are based on a TripAdvisor survey conducted amongst 635 travellers from Singapore in June 2019 .
Here is a list of things to do in Tokyo that are growing in popularity, and that the family will thank you for.
Trending experiences in Tokyo you can take the family on:
(+ denotes percentage growth in year-over-year bookings3):
- Experience Old and Nostalgic Tokyo: Yanaka Walking Tour (+92%)
- Brush up on Japanese history during this enriching 3.5-hour walking tour of Yakana. Built during the Edo period era, which spanned through the 16th and 19th centuries, Yakana was a destination for worship and sightseeing. Aside from ancient temples and shrines, travellers also get the chance to visit a local cemetery, locally known as 'reien' before ending the day with some shopping for food and local arts and crafts at the historic town of Shitamachi.
- Electric-Powered Biking Tour: Asakusa, Akihabara, and Imperial Palace (+60%)
- Great for families with teenagers, travellers get to visit famous attractions and hidden gems around Tokyo on this electric bike tour. Travellers can choose to explore neighbourhoods such as Ginza, Akihabara, and Asakusa. The tour is accompanied by a professional local guide that will ensure travellers experience the side of Tokyo that locals enjoy.
- Luxury Sushi Class, Sake Pairing and Special Access at Toyosu Fish Market (+50%)
- For those who love sushi, discover the start-to-end process of making this Japanese favourite during this workshop led by a sushi master. The session starts with a lesson on how to pick fresh ingredients from the Toyosu Fish Market followed by a lesson on how to prepare and fillet fish for sushi at the Suhi Mafia Lab. Travellers also get to enjoy the delicious creations with a wide selection of sake.
- Challenge Sumo Wrestlers and Enjoy a Chanko Lunch (+47%)
- While public matches make for a great viewing, this exclusive tour gives travellers the opportunity to go toe-to-toe with real sumo wrestlers in the ring. On top of gaining an insight into sumo’s intricate history, travellers will learn key wrestling techniques, see it applied during bona fide sumo matches, don the sumo costume and finally face off with veterans in a public battle. Round off this experience with an authentic, savoury sumo fare of chanko nabe, a rich calorie-heavy Japanese hot pot prepared by former wrestlers.
- Hands-on Ninja Experience in Tokyo (+34%)
- Learn the ways of ‘ninjutsu’, an ancient Japanese art and culture, from an actual ninja warrior in this 1.5-hour immersive experience. Travellers get to put on an authentic ‘ninja gi’ uniform during the session, hone the physical and mental craft through a hands-on training session and master ninja weapons like the blowgun and ‘shruiken’ (ninja star).
For families travelling beyond Tokyo, here are some trending experiences suitable for the family in other popular cities across Japan:
Trending experiences in Japan (excluding Tokyo):
(+ denotes percentage growth year-over-year)
- Kyoto Samurai Experience – Kyoto, Japan (+801%)
- Kyoto Nishiki Market and Gion Cultural Walking Food Tour – Kyoto, Japan (+64%)
- Full-Day Furano Lavender Farm and Blue Pond from Sapporo – Sapporo, Japan (+60%)
- Kimono and Yukata Experience in Kyoto – Kyoto, Japan (+50%)
- Full-Day Tour of Snow Monkeys, Zenko-ji Temple and Sake in Nagano – Nagano, Japan (+38%)
With the world’s largest selection of bookable tours and activities around the world, TripAdvisor is a one-stop destination for planning all of your travel activities. From traditional sightseeing to food tours, day trips, and local experiences, travellers can find and book great things to do wherever they are on the TripAdvisor app and site.
 Based on unique sessions for the most-searched outbound destinations on TripAdvisor by Singapore travellers from January 2017 to July 2019.
 Experiences in Tokyo that have seen some of the highest year-on-year percentage growth based on the number of bookings by global travellers, comparing 2017 to 2018.
 Experiences in Japan that have seen some of the highest year-on-year percentage growth based on the number of bookings by global travellers, comparing 2017 to 2018.