LONDON, UK, June 13, 2018 – TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced the top wellness travel destinations around the globe. TripAdvisor identified destinations where travellers can retreat to focus on well-being, yoga, meditation and self-care based on search terms on the site.
Wellness tourism is a growing trend where travellers are seeking health and spiritual wellness on their trips. According to a study by the Global Wellness Institute* world travellers made 691 million wellness trips in 2015, 104.4 million more than in 2013.
“For travellers seeking a break from the everyday, holidays in any of these wellness destinations are a fantastic way to improve mental and physical health. With a wide variety of zen accommodations and experiences, these destinations are great places to refresh and recharge,” said James Kay, TripAdvisor spokesperson.
To help travellers on their journey to feeling centred, TripAdvisor also surfaced highly rated spa hotels, wellness experiences and healthy restaurants for maximum mind and body harmony, in each of the ten destinations.
Top 10 Global Wellness Destinations
The island of the gods is a tropical paradise where you will start to unwind from the minute you arrive. Whether you soak up the sun on a stretch of fine white sand, dive along coral ridges or invigorate your mind and body in a yoga class, you will return home a new person.
- Spa Hotel: Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, Ubud – from £143 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Ubud Yoga House
- Healthy Restaurant: Moksa Plant-based Cuisine & Permaculture Garden, Ubud
The holy city in the heart of the Himalayas has a deep cultural and spiritual significance for local Hindus. Take a yoga retreat to pamper your soul, switch off with a reflective hike, or challenge yourself with an adventure rafting tour.
- Spa Hotel: Aloha On The Ganges by Leisure Hotels – from £68 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Yoganga Healing Retreat
- Healthy Restaurant: Ramana’s Organic Cafe
Located in the middle of the Arizona desert, Sedona is a true oasis where holidaymakers can take time out to re-charge their batteries. Indulge in the beautiful nature that surrounds and make sure not to go to bed too early. When the sun goes down, you can see the best show in Sedona: the starry night sky.
- Spa Hotel: Kimpton Amara Resort & Spa – from £213 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Sedona Soul SPA
- Healthy Restaurant: Indian Gardens Cafe & Market
Hepburn Springs is a known spa town, located in the middle of Australia’s largest concentration of mineral springs. Visitors can sample the local mineral waters and enjoy spa or massage retreats.
- Spa Hotel: Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa Retreat – from £143 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve
- Healthy Restaurant: The Surly Goat
The charm of this former fishing community lingers. Zone out by soaking up the local culture, visiting a Buddhist temple or spending a lazy day at one of the island’s many spas.
- Spa Hotel: Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui– from £258 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Tamarind Springs Forest Spa normal
- Healthy Restaurant: Supattra Thai Dining
Travellers looking for a place to improve mental and physical well-being should consider lush Costa Rica for their next getaway. Experience relaxation techniques such as body wraps or hydrotherapy or put yourself in close contact with nature by jungle trekking or walking barefoot along its sandy beaches.
- Spa Hotel: Nayara Springs – from £408 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Tabacon Hot Springs normal
- Healthy Restaurant: Organico Fortuna
Unwinding on Goa’s sandy coast is a perfect start to a detox holiday. Start your day with a yoga class or nestle into a cushioned chair and stop worrying about your daily routine before diving into the culture with a traditional cooking class.
- Spa Hotel: Park Hyatt Goa Resort and Spa – from £113 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Rita's Gourmet Goa
- Healthy Restaurant: Zest
A car-free village with luxurious chalets that offer a variety of spa treatments, all surrounded by breathtaking nature – doesn’t that sound like a place to rejuvenate? You can find all of that when visiting Zermatt, at the foot of the Matterhorn. Simply looking at the iconic mountain will let the healing begin.
- Spa Hotel: The Omnia – from £240 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: The Matterhorn
- Healthy Restaurant: Restaurant Chez Vrony
Picture yourself sitting in a cosy beach chair, putting your sandy feet up after taking a soothing walk along a white beach on one of the enchanting islands of the Maldives. If you need more than a daydream to start feeling at ease, you should put a visit on your wellness bucket list.
- Spa Hotel: Baros Maldives – from £462 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Duniye Spa
- Healthy Restaurant: Just Veg by Atmosphere
Far away from the buzzing party spots, you will find yoga retreats in traditional farmhouse locations. Or you can stay at one of the many beautiful seaside resorts and enjoy a sunrise Pilates class. Not into yoga? There are spa hotels all over the island or rural Fincas for agricultural holidays.
- Spa Hotel: Ca Na Xica Boutique Hotel & Spa – from £352 on TripAdvisor
- Wellness Experience: Yoga Pilates Ibiza
- Healthy Restaurant: La Mesa Escondida
Wellness destinations based on destinations seeing the greatest amount of related search terms on TripAdvisor, such as wellness, spiritual or yoga retreat. Spa hotels and wellness experiences are all highly rated on TripAdvisor.
Healthy restaurants based on those highly rated on TripAdvisor and popular for having Farm-to-Table, Healthy, Organic, Vegan or Vegetarian options.
Note to editors
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travellers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 630 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide – covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travellers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travellers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors**, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
The subsidiaries and affiliates of TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) own and operate a portfolio of websites under 20 other travel media brands:
www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.citymaps.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com and www.viator.com.
* Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, November 2017
** Source: TripAdvisor log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2017