LONDON, UK – 20 March, 2018 – London is today named the second best rated destination in the world and Europe and number one the UK in the tenth annual Travellers’ Choice awards for Destinations, announced by TripAdvisor, the travel planning and booking site.
Paris takes the title of world number one this year, with Rome following behind London in third place and Bali coming in fourth. Interestingly, New York, a long-time favourite with travellers worldwide, slips down to tenth place this year from fifth last year, with Crete, Barcelona, Prague Marrakech and Istanbul – which come in fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth respectively – all ranking above the Big Apple.
The TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice awards for Destinations reveal the world’s best-rated destinations each year, based on millions of reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers. Award winners were determined using an algorithm based on the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period, as well as traveller booking interest on TripAdvisor.
Laura Citron, CEO London & Partners, the Mayor of London’s official promotional agency for city said, “It’s wonderful to see that visitors continue to be drawn in by London’s extraordinary mix of history and heritage, cutting-edge contemporary culture alongside an array of major events and festivities. This year promises another jam-packed programme of blockbuster exhibitions, shows and exciting new openings to tempt visitors of all ages, interests and budgets”
European destinations dominate the world top ten this year with seven of the top ten from the region; Paris, London, Rome, Crete, Barcelona, Prague and Istanbul.
“This year’s awards show that the UK’s capital is still a firm favourite among global travellers as it maintains its position in the top two destination in the world. Travellers planning a visit to one of the top 10 destinations in the world will get the best value in Istanbul, with the average nightly hotel rate on TripAdvisor coming in at £78,” commented TripAdvisor spokesperson, Hayley Coleman.
UK category: North continues to beat South with more winning destinations
The awards also reveal the UK and Channel Isles best-rated destinations and while London ranks as the UK’s number one destination overall, the north also has a lot to celebrate with six winning destination in the top 10 versus four southern winners. And it is not the first time that the north has boasted more winning destinations than the south in the Travellers’ Choice Destinations awards; in fact, this has been the case for six years running.
Edinburgh, Liverpool, York, Glasgow, Blackpool and Belfast take second, third, fifth, sixth, ninth and tenth place respectively. While to the south of the UK and Channel Isles, London, Jersey, Isle of Wight and Bath come in first, fourth, seventh and eighth respectively.
To help travellers plan their next trip to the world’s top ten destinations, TripAdvisor has identified highly-rated value hotels that cost less than the destination average.
World top 10
1. Paris, France
- Average annual hotel rate in Paris: £166 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Hotel Bradford Elysees - Astotel, from £110 per night on TripAdvisor
2. London, England
- Average annual hotel rate in London: £191 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: The Piccadilly London West End, from £176 per night on TripAdvisor
3. Rome, Italy
- Average annual hotel rate in Rome: £136 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Deko Rome, from £121 per night on TripAdvisor
4. Bali, Indonesia
- Average annual hotel rate in Bali: £111 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: The Villas Tejakula, from £101 per night on TripAdvisor
5. Crete, Greece
- Average annual hotel rate in Crete: £121 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Elounda Garden Suites, from £61 per night on TripAdvisor
6. Barcelona, Spain
- Average annual hotel rate in Barcelona: £166 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Yurbban Passage Hotel & Spa, from £130 per night on TripAdvisor
7. Prague, Czech Republic
- Average annual hotel rate in Prague: £105 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Hotel Pod Vezi, from £80 per night on TripAdvisor
8. Marrakech, Morocco
- Average annual hotel rate in Marrakech: £125 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Riad Dar Dialkoum, from £95 per night on TripAdvisor
9. Istanbul, Turkey
- Average annual hotel rate in Istanbul: £78 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: Dersaadet Hotel Istanbul, from £72 per night on TripAdvisor
10. New York City, New York
- Average annual hotel rate in New York City: £291 per night on TripAdvisor
- Highly-rated value hotel: The Blakely New York, from £180 per night on TripAdvisor
Europe top 10
- Paris, France
- London, UK
- Rome, Italy
- Crete, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Majorca, Spain
- Santorini, Greece
UK top 10
- London, London
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Liverpool, Merseyside
- Jersey, Channel Isles
- York, North Yorkshire
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Isle of Wight, Hampshire
- Bath, Somerset
- Blackpool, Lancashire
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
For the complete list of Travellers' Choice Destination award-winners for 2018, as well as the latest reviews and candid traveller photos, visit www.TripAdvisor.co.uk/TravellersChoice-Destinations. Travellers can also follow the conversation on Twitter at #TravellersChoice.
Average annual hotel rates based on TripAdvisor pricing for 2018.
Highly-rated value hotels have at least four out of five bubbles on TripAdvisor with a nightly rate less than £215 per night and less than the least expensive month rate.
TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travellers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 600 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide – covering approximately 7.5 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travellers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travellers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors**, all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP), through its subsidiaries, manages and operates websites under 20 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.citymaps.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com and www.viator.com.
* Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, October 2017
** Source: TripAdvisor log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2017