TripAdvisor®, today announced that it has crossed the 500 million reviews and opinions milestone. The popular travel planning and booking site and app now receives 290 pieces of content every minute of every day. The phenomenal growth in user-generated content has been fuelled by travellers’ desire to “pay it forward” with real-time insights and advice for millions of other global users so they can make great decisions at every step of their travel planning process.
Most Reviewed Hotel, Restaurant and Attraction on TripAdvisor
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in Australia: Sydney Harbour has more than 16,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in Australia: Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney has more than 7,500 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in Australia: Chin Chin in Melbourne has more than 3,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in the world: The Basilica of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain has more than 107,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in the world: The Luxor Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada has more than 28,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in the world: Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon, Portugal has more than 25,000 traveller reviews
Destination NSW, CEO Sandra Chipchase said, "Sydney Harbour is a favourite attraction for the 9.2 million domestic overnight visitors and 3.6 million international visitors who travelled to Sydney in the year-ended December 2016. Travelling across Sydney Harbour by Ferry or enjoying a cruise, visiting the iconic Sydney Opera House and climbing or crossing Sydney Harbour Bridge are "must-do” experiences for visitors to Sydney. TripAdvisor travellers are fully engaged visitors and their insights, reviews and tips help visitors and attraction owners to constantly improve their tourism experience. We are proud of our beautiful harbour and encourage visitors to enjoy the multitude of other great attractions Australia's global city has to offer."
General Manager of Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, Arpad Romandy emphasised that “The reviews that the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney receive on TripAdvisor are of high importance to our business. They enable us to measure trends and are a great tool to motivate our staff, there is nothing better than having our team members acknowledged for their excellent service. We are extremely proud to be the hotel with the highest number of reviews in Australia, as they empower the public to make informed decisions when deciding where to stay during their travels to Sydney”.
Chris Lucas, the owner and restauranteur from Chin Chin said, "We’ve always considered ourselves 'The People’s' restaurant. When Chin Chin began more than six years ago we never anticipated to be where we are today. Our goal was simply to open a fun restaurant. To know we have achieved that gives us a real kick”.
“TripAdvisor revolutionised the industry 17 years ago when it created a platform for travellers to share unbiased reviews of their first-hand experiences with the world,” said Janice Lee Fang, TripAdvisor’s Communications Director for Asia Pacific. “With the millions of reviews on TripAdvisor that travellers can turn to for advice, Australian travellers can make more informed decisions that they can feel confident about when planning and booking their holidays, whilst local businesses can concurrently utilise the valuable feedback they get to improve their offerings and grow.”
Content Users Can Rely On
The integrity of reviews and opinions remains high at TripAdvisor, where the company uses cutting-edge technology and investigation methods to ensure consumers continue to find reviews as accurate and helpful in determining the quality of their total trip experience.
Over the last several years, multiple studies continue to reflect that the overwhelming majority of travellers find TripAdvisor’s hotel and restaurant reviews accurate of the actual experience.
For an in-depth look at TripAdvisor’s methods, watch this recently released film that illustrates how the company succeeds at ensuring the quality of our content:
Top Tips to Make Your Review Helpful to Other Travellers
- Cover the five Ws: The review already says where you are. Remember to add who you were with, what you did, ate and experienced, when you were there and why you would recommend someone should or should not go.
- Highlight relevant facts: Whether you review a hotel, restaurant or attraction, people want an overview: How was the service? Is it centrally located or near major sights? What’s the ambiance like or condition it’s in?
- Add a helpful tip: What do others need to know to have a better experience? Is there a specific room, special amenity or something off the menu you would recommend? Are there off peak times you would recommend them going or how to avoid queueing for a long time?
- Photos go a long way: Bring your review to life with photos. Photos help travellers understand the experience, whether it is of a hotel room, an incredible view or of an amazing dish. Photos of dishes also help other users decide on what they might want to try!
- Review as soon as you can: One-third of people surveyed by TripAdvisor say they’d rather read about a recent experience
Notes to editors:
1Methodology: Study commissioned by TripAdvisor and undertaken by Oxford Economics, quantifying the economic impacts of TripAdvisor globally. A panel dataset covering more than 100 countries for the years 2009 - 2014 was compiled to test the relationship between TripAdvisor metrics and travel behavior. Extensive econometric testing proved that TripAdvisor content is a causal factor in travel activity, in addition to being positively correlated. Research conducted in 2015.