Want to steal away with your love this Valentines’? TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, has rounded up a selection of the best hotels in Asia that are perfect for a romantic escape, based on reviews and opinions from travellers around the world.
With seven out of 10 Asian winners located within South East Asia and the #1 in Thailand, travellers don’t have to go very far for an idyllic retreat this Valentine’s!
The Place Luxury Boutique Villas, located on the hills of Koh Tao, Thailand, is the top hotel for romance in Asia and the world. Another Thai property, Layana Resort and Spa is second, followed by The Kayon Resort in Ubud, Bali.
Travellers looking to steal away for Valentine’s Day can look to the list below for inspiration.
(Excerpts in quotes below from TripAdvisor reviewers)
- The Place Luxury Boutique Villas, Koh Tao, Thailand
A top choice amongst honeymooners, The Place features nine boutique villas, each equipped with an en-suite dressing room, glass-roof shower, stocked kitchenette, a movie-entertainment system, and a private infinity pool. Each villa features sliding panels that open to an unobstructed view of the Gulf of Thailand. Guests love this hotel for its staff who “offers just the right amount of service and privacy, while catering to your every wish.”
- Three reasons to book The Place Luxury Boutique Villas: Private chef, outdoor balcony with bean bags and sun beds by the private pool, open-air shower
- Layana Resort and Spa, Ko Lanta, Thailand
This adult-only resort has 57 luxurious guestrooms and offers amenities including an infinity salt-water pool, a large Jacuzzi and a private beach. Sun-lounging couples can expect total relaxation as the staff offer “chilled fruit kebabs, iced water and eucalyptus towels” every hour or so. Guests can also indulge in wellness treatments that adopt both Eastern and Western techniques and hailed as “worthy of every cent”, at the award-winning spa.
- Three reasons to book Layana Resort and Spa: Beachside restaurant, sundowners cruise and a wellness zone comprising a gym, yoga platform, juice bar and saltwater pool
- The Kayon Resort, Ubud, Indonesia
The Kayon Resort is tucked away in a rainforest and next to the Petanu River. Ideal for couples “looking for peace and relaxation in a beautiful setting”, the resort features 23 guestrooms, each an “architectural masterpiece” featuring intricate carvings on locally sourced materials. The hotel also features amenities such as a floating chapel for weddings or renewal of vows, a roof top yoga pavilion and a 16-metre long infinity pool.
- Three reasons to book The Kayon Resort: Guided daily morning walks through the neighbouring heritage village and rice terraces, complimentary afternoon high tea buffet, private Balinese cooking lessons
- Hanoi La Selva Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam
This boutique hotel is located at the heart of the Old Quarter in close proximity to the main attractions in Hanoi. The hotel offers “comfortable rooms” and a rooftop restaurant with “brilliant a la carte breakfast of Western and Vietnamese options” and a panoramic view of the city. The hotel is also recognised for its impeccable service and little touches, such as “a good night letter including the weather forecast for the next day delivered with a couple of chocolates.”
- Three reasons to book Hanoi La Selva Hotel: Complimentary farewell gift, visa upon arrival services, easy booking of tour packages such as a Hanoi street food tour and Halong Bay tour
- Chronicle Angkor Hotel, Siem Reap, Cambodia
At this 14-room boutique hotel, guests can look forward to spacious Khmer-inspired rooms, each with a private balcony and “all the luxuries and amenities of a bigger resort”. The staff “make you feel at home” by addressing guests by their names, offering lemongrass tea and banana chips upon arrival and welcome gifts of palm hats and Krama scarfs, specially sourced from local villages as part of a social responsibility practice to contribute to the livelihood of locals.
- Three reasons to book Chronicle Angkor Hotel: Khmer traditional massage, complimentary airport pickup services, tuk tuk rentals for local activities such as temple tours
- Baros Maldives, Baros Island, Maldives
Baros Maldives is acknowledged as “a jewel in the Indian Ocean” with beautifully designed beachside and water villas built by local craftsmen using local sandstone and timber to blend into the natural environment. Each villa is fitted with iPod docking stations, Bose surround sound system, an outdoor shower and direct access to the lagoon. The resort also has a Marine Centre where guests can join guided snorkelling excursions conducted by a resident marine biologist.
- Three reasons to book Baros Maldives: 24/7 dedicated villa host, extensive house reef, discovery excursions such as a glass bottom boat cruise
- Buckingham Place, Rekawa, Sri Lanka
Nick Buckingham, the founder and owner of the Buckingham Place, is the star of this remote boutique hotel. Described as the “driving force behind this tiny wonderful universe”, he and his team runs a resort with 16 guestrooms including a honeymoon suite with an open-air rain shower and a private veranda overlooking the lagoon. Guests can also mingle with the hotel’s resident pony, tropical birds, monkeys and peacocks.
- Three reasons to book Buckingham Place: All day breakfast, mobile phone to make local calls, exceptional service
- Kandolhu Maldives, North Ari Atoll, Maldives
This intimate island resort has only 30 villas, making it ideal for couples looking for a romantic hideaway. Described as the “best kept secret in Maldives”, the Kandolhu Maldives offers a full range of spa services, water sports activities and four restaurants that offer the finest local cuisine. The island is also home to one of the most colourful reefs in the Maldives, making it a favourite amongst divers.
- Three reasons to book Kandolhu Maldives: Snorkelling and diving, signature couples’ massage, ocean pool villas with private plunge pools
- Hanoi Golden Moon Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi Golden Moon Hotel is located near the old French quarter and within walking distance of attractions such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Dong Xuan market and Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre. The boutique hotel offers “beautiful rooms”, “giant” beds and 24hr room service. Guests can expect top-notch service from “accommodating and thoughtful staff” who will be happy to provide couples with travel recommendations.
- Three reasons to book Hanoi Golden Moon Hotel: Banana pancakes, easy booking of Sapa and Halong Bay tours, close proximity to the must-try egg coffee café
- Arunreas Hotel, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Arunreas Hotel is a “French colonial style” property that offers 12 rooms fitted with “comfortable beds”, private plunge baths and a complimentary minibar. The hotel also provides guests with an iPhone 6, equipped with free local calls and unlimited data usage, which is a “lifesaver” for couples exploring the vibrant city.
- Three reasons to book Arunreas Hotel: L'occitane toiletries, excellent in-house French restaurant and bakery, in-room massage service
 Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews from travellers on TripAdvisor gathered over a 12-month period with emphasis placed on reviews marked as a couples stay.