On a list of reasons to take a holiday, “getting away from daily stresses” might be at the top. When every text message, email and social notification gets delivered directly to our pockets, it’s hard to truly break free from the world. But spending a week in a remote cottage, faraway beach home or mountainside cabin can be wildly liberating. With TripAdvisor Holiday Rentals and their top idyllic homes, you can leave the iPad at home, turn the cell phone off and relish in the peaceful tranquillity of your surroundings.
Embrace that solitude - no crowded hotels, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram. While convincing your kids of that may be a challenge (good luck, parents!), TripAdvisor Holiday Rentals is here to help.
We’ve rounded up 11 amazing holiday homes that stand alone, literally. With nothing but the great outdoors on your doorstep – lakes, fields, mountains, forests and more – these properties are great for a true digital detox, if you choose.
You’ll enjoy activities like biking, hiking, fishing, boating, horseback riding or simply gazing at the jaw-dropping sunsets, all while getting closer to your family and loved ones.
So don’t worry about updating your apps before this trip. You won’t need ’em – or want ’em
- Welsh Cottage: Haye-on-Wye, Wales - A historic cottage set in the spectacular countryside overlooking the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons National Park. “No neighbours except sheep and cows,” claims the property description. The interior has been exquisitely renovated and guests enjoy relaxing evenings in front of the fireplace.
- El Rancho Evergreen: Chiapas, Southern Mexico - Nestled in 100 acres of an equestrian ranch in the colonial town of San Cristóbal de las Casas. The owners claim it’s a “great place to disconnect from the urban world and reconnect with nature and animals.”
- The Bunkhouse: Washington, Vermont, USA - The Bunkhouse is a rustic lodge with access to the best of Vermont’s remote wilderness and miles of hiking trails. Ideal for any season, guests put down their phones and pick up their hiking shoes or cross-country skis. The outdoor patio boasts a BBQ grill so you can take in the magnificent North East views while preparing meals.
- Alt Dubh: Isle of Lewis, Scotland - Alt Dubh enjoys an elevated position offering incredible views of the loch below. The separated stone shed has been converted into a sauna and hot tub, providing a touch of luxury and relaxation after a day in the gorgeous Hebridean landscape.
- La Palapa Tranquila: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - La Palapa Tranquila is a “unique, hard-to-find special place,” says the property description. “If you are looking for something different, an adventurous holiday away from it all, with tranquil days in the sun, deserted beaches and evenings of watching beautiful sunsets, you have found your paradise. Your adventure will be an unforgettable escape from the modern, every day rat race.”
- Remote Wilderness Casita: Abiquiu, New Mexico - You know a place is magical when multiple reviews claim it to be “absolute heaven in Northern New Mexico.” Another guest described their stay like this: “If you need to totally unplug with your significant other, this is the place. Located two hours north of Santa Fe, reached by dirt road, you are taken to a remote casita that is located in a box canyon along the Rio Gallina. The casita has no cell phone service or electricity and is, in my humble opinion, the true definition of ‘glamping.'”
- Moulin D’enval: Chamberet, France - Surrounded by acres of forest, next to a river and out of sight of any neighbours. This old mill is a great place to get away from it all. The property has been renovated inside yet maintains its traditional French character, with lovely stone floors and exposed-stone walls
- Blue Skies Lodge: Coudersport, Pennsylvania, USA - An isolated cabin near Cherry Springs State Park, Blue Skies Lodge rests in the middle of 55 acres with a 10-acre mountaintop stargazing field within walking distance. Another perk? This home is pet-friendly, so your furry friends can get in on the adventure.
- Cedar Croft: Isle of Wight, England - This splendid, quirky cabin in the small village of Cowes has it all. Set among a private bay, guests have miles of grassy terrain and sandy beach. The views are surely picture-worthy, but you’ll have to wait to post them on Facebook.
- The Chalet: Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada - Surrounded by lush forest, this Salmon Arm chalet is completely private and offers all the amenities needed for a perfect family retreat. “If you need to reconnect with yourself and nature, this is the place,” says one reviewer. Another claims the property is “rustic but modern in a very secluded location and has all the essentials you will require.” Though remote, you’ll still be nearby some excellent wineries, water sports opportunities and fishing excursions.
- Tesla Lake Lodge: Burns Lake, British Columbia, Canada - Imagine a place so detached that you need a plane just to get there. You fly over lakes and mountains and wildlife galore, descending down into the towering treetops. What lies is a cosy cabin on the edge of the water, one of only two properties available for rent in North Tweesdmuir Park. That’s the Tesla Lake Lodge. It’s the ultimate “digital detox” accommodation, for the ultimate remote vacation.