LONDON, UK, 19 April, 2017 – TripAdvisor today announced that it has crossed the 500 million reviews and opinions milestone. The popular travel planning and booking site and app now receives 290 pieces of content every minute of every day. The phenomenal growth in user-generated content has been fuelled by travellers’ desire to give back to the TripAdvisor community with insights and advice for millions of other global users.
Most Reviewed Hotel, Restaurant and Attraction on TripAdvisor - Worldwide
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in the world: The Basilica of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain, has more than 107,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in the world: The Luxor Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada, has more than 29,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in the world: Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon, Portugal, has more than 26,000 traveller reviews
Most Reviewed Hotel, Restaurant and Attraction on TripAdvisor - UK
- Most reviewed hotel in the UK: Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, has more than 15,000 reviews
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in the UK: The London Eye, London, has more than 57,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in the UK: Aqua Shard, London, has more than 11,000 traveller reviews
“Since launching 17 years ago, TripAdvisor has revolutionised the travel industry by creating an environment where consumers can share honest opinions of their experiences and where businesses can see the rewards of achieving consistently high standards of service and value from the community,” said Stephen Kaufer chief executive officer and co-founder, TripAdvisor.
In 2014, Oxford Economics¹ quantified the economic impact and added value generated for the travel industry by consumers using TripAdvisor. The study showed that TripAdvisor reviews and other content are not only heavily influencing much of the world’s travel activity, but are in fact the cause of some increase in travel activity.
Oxford Economics found that reviews, in particular, play a very important part in increasing travel activity by:
- Creating Transparency: Consumers are clear about the positives and negatives of the hotels, restaurants or attractions they’re considering
- Building Trust: Consumers are confident that TripAdvisor’s content is reliable and trustworthy
- Growing Content Depth & Breadth: Travellers see an enormous amount of aggregated information and reviews about accommodations, restaurants and attractions all over the world
- Easing the Process of Searching & Booking: Travellers can easily find and compare prices and make a booking
The Journey of a TripAdvisor Review
To mark the 500 million reviews and opinions milestone, TripAdvisor also released a new video which explains how the site handles the task of moderating over 290 pieces of content every minute – by describing the journey each review goes through before being posted.
You can watch and/or embed the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2aCPXQzChE&t
Notes to editors:
1 - Methodology: Study commissioned by TripAdvisor and undertaken by Oxford Economics, quantifying the economic impacts of TripAdvisor globally. A panel dataset covering more than 100 countries for the years 2009 - 2014 was compiled to test the relationship between TripAdvisor metrics and travel behaviour. Extensive econometric testing proved that TripAdvisor content is a causal factor in travel activity, in addition to being positively correlated. Research conducted in 2015.
TripAdvisor® is the world’s largest travel site*, enabling travellers to unleash the potential of every trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travellers, with 500 million reviews and opinions covering 7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions, and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features — checking more than 200 websites to help travellers find and book today’s lowest hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 390 million average unique monthly visitors** in 49 markets worldwide. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), through its subsidiaries, manages and operates websites under 23 other travel media brands:
www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.citymaps.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com and www.viator.com.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, November 2016
**Source: TripAdvisor log files, Q3 2016