Accommodations Recognized in 10 Subcategories - in the U.S., Regionally and Globally
2023 Awards include Two Brand New Categories: The Best Hotels with Spas and the Best Hotels for Sleep
Rambagh Palace in India World's No.1; Perry Lane in Savannah Best in U.S.
NEEDHAM, Mass., May 23, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Tripadvisor® announced the winners of its 2023 Travelers' Choice® Best of the Best Hotel Awards. In its 21st edition, the awards align with the kickoff of the summer travel season, providing inspiration by revealing the best places to stay in the U.S. and around the world. Tripadvisor analyzed 12 months of review data (January 1, 2022 - December 31, 2022) from real travelers covering more than 1.5 million hotels, to determine travelers' highest-rated accommodations of the year. Discover all the winners and get planning at tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cTop.
"It's clear that our community ventured far and wide last year: Our 10 winning subcategories encompass 37 regions around the world and include a wide range of amazing places to stay," said Sarah Firshein, Head of Editorial at Tripadvisor. "An opulent palace in Jaipur topped the charts, while hotels ranging from a 'glamping' retreat in Patagonia to a rock 'n' roll–themed boutique in Boston made their mark as well. As our savvy reviewers know, hotels can sometimes be the entire reason for the trip—I'm personally very excited to consult this list as I plot out the next year of vacations with my own family."
Hotel Headlines: 2023 Trends
- This year, wellness is top of mind for travelers. All-inclusives and hotels set in relaxing Caribbean destinations rank highly in the 2023 awards. With more travelers in search of relaxation, Tripadvisor launched two brand new subcategories for 2023 to help everyone find their zen: The Best Hotels with Spas and the Best Hotels for Sleep.
- The 2023 awards, particularly in the U.S., feature many new winners, suggesting that as more people traveled and left reviews over the past year, they ventured to new places, both at home and abroad.
- Asia tops the charts for travelers this year, proving that the market has bounced back as a tourism destination. Nine of the top 25 Hottest New Hotels are in Asia, along with eight of the Top Hotels in the world, including the esteemed No. 1 spot.
- Brazil takes the cake with the most winners on the world list this year, with Istanbul beating out other cities. In the U.S., Charleston has the most unique winners, followed by New York City and Washington, D.C.
And the Winners are…
This year's No. 1 Hotel in the prestigious Top Hotels category is Rambagh Palace in Jaipur, India. Dubbed "The Jewel of Jaipur," this 1835 palace-turned-luxurious hotel holds unbelievable extravagance. A new No. 1 winner for 2023, Rambagh Palace has over 5,000 five-bubble reviews and is beloved for its polo bar, historic suites, and high tea.
In the U.S., The Perry Lane Hotel in Savannah, Georgia, ranks No. 1 for travelers this year. The luxurious, cosmopolitan hotel provides a rare duality in contemporary design and draws inspiration from the historic city it calls home. Ranking No. 22 in 2022, The Perry Lane rose to the top this year based on glowing traveler reviews highlighting its chic rooftop bar, food and beverage offerings, and warm Southern hospitality, to name a few.
The distinguished Top Hotels list is a diverse ranking with winners from 19 countries around the world. On the U.S. list, 21 different cities are home to a 2023 winner.
Top 10 Hotels in the World
- Rambagh Palace – Jaipur, India
- Ozen Reserve Bolifushi – Bolifushi Island, Maldives
- Hotel Colline de France – Gramado, Brazil
- Shangri-La The Shard, London – London, United Kingdom
- The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
- JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Romance Istanbul Hotel – Istanbul, Türkiye
- Ikos Dassia – Dassia, Greece
- Ikos Andalusia – Estepona, Spain
- Padma Resort Ubud – Puhu, Indonesia
Top 10 Hotels in the U.S.
- The Perry Lane Hotel – Savannah, Ga.
- Hotel Emma at Pearl – San Antonio, Texas
- Hotel Madera – Washington, D.C.
- The Lancaster – Houston, Texas
- Acqualina Resort & Residences On The Beach – Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.
- Atticus Hotel – McMinnville, Ore.
- Montage Laguna Beach – Laguna Beach, Calif.
- The Inn Above Tide – Sausalito, Calif.
- French Quarter Inn – Charleston, S.C.
- Pendry Manhattan West – New York City, N.Y.
New for 2023, Tripadvisor reveals the Best Hotels for Sleep, spotlighting the top 10 accommodations around the world where guests have rated sleep most highly in their reviews. For travelers in need of sweet dreams, visit Dromoland Castle Hotel in Ireland, rated No. 1 in the world in this inaugural subcategory, where a serene slumber is almost certain. For those looking to stay closer to home, the U.S. holds two great spots for shut-eye: the Harbor House Inn in Santa Barbara, California, and Graduate Tucson in Tucson, Arizona. The full top 10 is as follows:
- Dromoland Castle Hotel - Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland
- Abigail's Hotel - Victoria, Canada
- Harbor House Inn - Santa Barbara, Calif., U.S.
- Hotel de Biencourt - Azay-le-Rideau, France
- Boutique Hotel Diana - Madonna Di Campiglio, Italy
- Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
- Guana Island - Guana Island, British Virgin Islands
- Kapama Buffalo Camp - Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa
- Graduate Tucson - Tucson, Ariz., U.S.
- Baltazar Budapest - Boutique Hotel - Budapest, Hungary
A second new subcategory for 2023 also spotlights relaxation: the Best Hotels with Spas. While many hotels aim to induce zen, none succeed quite like The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong, the No. 1 rated Spa Hotel. This is the "highest" hotel in the world, so the views alone are worth visiting the spa on the 116th floor, which redefines the urban spa experience in the city and across Asia. The full top 10 is as follows:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong - Hong Kong, China
- JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Ikos Dassia - Dassia, Greece
- Padma Resort Ubud - Puhu, Indonesia
- Sunrise Attitude - Belle Mare, Mauritius
- Varu By Atmosphere - Madivaru, Maldives
- Voyage Belek Golf & Spa - Belek, Türkiye
- Sun Siyam Vilu Reef - Dhaalu Atoll, Maldives
- The Westin Goa - Anjuna, India
- Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Dubai - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
As the hospitality industry continues to rebound, many new hotels have opened their doors, the best of which are recognized in Tripadvisor's Hottest New Hotels for 2023. OBLU SELECT Lobigili in the Maldives secures Tripadvisor's "rookie of the year" status, ranking No. 1 in the world. This 5-star resort exclusively for adults features nature-inspired designs that bring to life a secluded, castaway feel, once again proving wellness is paramount for travelers. In the U.S., San Francisco's design- and art-driven LUMA Hotel takes the crown.
Those looking for more bucket list adventures and Instagram-worthy photo-ops can explore the most Out-of-the-Ordinary Hotels for a stay to remember:
- Patagonia Camp in Chile is No. 1 in the world. Within Torres del Paine National Park, this is the first luxury camp in South America with a chic collection of glamorous Yurts. Glampers rejoice!
- There are two U.S. winners this year: Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, New Mexico, and The Verb Hotel in Boston.
Planning a family getaway can be difficult enough, so let Tripadvisor take some of the pressure off hotel selection. The Best Family-Friendly Hotels hold fun stuff for kids, plus all the perks for parents.
- No. 1 in the world: Ikos Andalusia in Estepona, Spain.
- No 1. In the U.S.: Lago Mar Beach Resort & Club in Fort Lauderdale. The resort is also No. 18 in the world, the only U.S. hotel awarded among the best in the world.
Great hospitality doesn't always mean massive resorts; sometimes the best stays are a cozy bed and breakfast, which is why Tripadvisor awards the Best B&Bs/Inns.
- Last year's favorites reign supreme: The Toulson Court in Scarborough, United Kingdom takes the No. 1 spot in the world for the second year in a row, and Candleberry Inn on Cape Cod is No. 1 in the U.S. once again (also No. 5 in the word).
Luxury Hotels recognize places with above-and-beyond hospitality and amenities for days.
- No. 1 in the world: Rambagh Palace in India, which is also the No. 1 Top Hotel.
- No. 1 in the U.S. Hotel Emma at Pearl in San Antonio.
Sometimes, Small Hotels make a big impression. Here are travelers' favorite hotels under 30 rooms:
- No. 1 in the world: White House Hotel in Istanbul, for the second consecutive year.
- No. 1 in the U.S.: Adobe Grand Villas in Sedona, Arizona
Finally, the Best All-Inclusive Hotels hold everything you could ever need (and more), all in one place.
- Ozen Reserve Bolifushi in the Maldives is No. 1 in the world.
All the winners, including in different countries and continents, can be seen here: tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cTop.
The 2023 Travelers' Choice Best of the Best Hotel Awards are determined based on the quality and quantity of traveler reviews and ratings posted on Tripadvisor over the 12-month period between January 1 and December 31, 2022, as well as an additional editorial process.
Tripadvisor is proud to serve a broad and diverse community of travelers from all over the world. As such, Tripadvisor reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any property, business, destination or point of interest listed on Tripadvisor for an award based on additional factors that reflect Tripadvisor corporate policies and values. For more details on Tripadvisor's awards policy, see here.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 1 billion reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type. The subsidiaries of Tripadvisor, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRIP), own and operate a portfolio of travel media brands and businesses, operating under various websites and apps.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly, March 2023
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files