TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced the winners of its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for Island destinations across the world. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions on islands worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period, as well as traveller booking interest on TripAdvisor.
From the golden beaches of Maui to the crystal clear waters of Providenciales, travellers planning to book their trip during the “shoulder season” can make substantial savings on hotel bookings per night. The shoulder season is deemed the least expensive season either right before, or right after the most expensive (peak) season, where travellers can still enjoy great weather, whilst making the most of seasonal discounts.
“The TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice list of Islands sets out some of the world’s most amazing beaches in the world worthy of that next tropical getaway as voted by the site’s global community,” said Janice Lee Fang, TripAdvisor’s Communications Director for Asia Pacific.” Our hotel booking data reveals that travellers can save 25 percent per night on average if they book their next island escape during the shoulder season, whether they visit Lord Howe or Maui.”
For those planning to visit these picturesque destinations, TripAdvisor has also identified a selection of iconic attractions, award winning hotels and upcoming events to check out when exploring these award-winning islands.
Top 10 Islands in the World:
1. Maui, Hawaii – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Maui: $4301
Average shoulder season savings during September - November: 24%
With its golden beaches, turquoise waters and enticing bamboo forests, Maui is a popular destination for sun worshippers and nature lovers alike. Travellers will find breathtaking views of the island at the top of the Haleakala Crater, a dormant volcano that marks the highest point on Maui at 10,000 feet above sea level. After a long day at the beach, travellers can reset at the Montage Kapalua Bay resort, which features a multi-tiered lagoon pool and other luxury amenities.
Reason to book now: 8th Annual Maui Brewer’s Festival: May 14, 2016
2. Santorini, Greece – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Santorini: $292
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 35%
The Greek island of Santorini is one of Europe’s most intriguing islands. Stunning sunsets and scenery, white, red and black sand beaches, impressive traditional houses, and views of the island’s dormant volcano are more than enough to draw travellers in from all corners of the world. Be sure to check out the romantic sunsets at Amoudi Bay and book a stay in one of the towns on the cliffs, including Fira and Oia.
Reason to book now: Santorini Jazz Festival, located on the beach at Kamari: July, 2016
3. Jamaica, Caribbean – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Jamaica: $307
Average shoulder season savings during September - November: 25%
Jamaica provides travellers endless opportunities to play under the sun at one of the island’s four major resort areas; Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Negril and Port Antontio. Take a walk along the entire length of the crescent-shaped Seven Mile Beach or experience. Or experience the vibrant reggae culture, and hustle and bustle of the island’s capital, Kingston.
Reason to book now: Jamaica Festival, located in Kingston or Montego Bay: July 31-August 6, 2016
4. Providenciales, Turks and Caicos – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Providenciales: $604
Average shoulder season savings during September - November: 35%
Best known for its crystal clear water and pure white sands, a slice of paradise in the Turks of Caicos is the island of Providenciales. On the north side of the island, close to Grace Bay, travellers can discover the most beautiful beaches, as well as a long coral reef rich in aquatic life. Towards the south of the island you will find Chalk Sound, a large lake with striking turquoise water and an array of small caves.
Reason to book now: Windvibes Kiteboarding Tournament: July 10, 2016
5. Bali, Indonesia – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Bali: $133
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 13%
The Indonesian island of Bali is a favourite destination for Australian travellers, both for its adventurer offering and its relaxation perks. The waters off the coast of Bali's white beaches are an ideal spot for diving, while the dense jungles, teeming with monkeys and hidden stone temples, call out for exploration. Be sure to visit the Tirta Gangga gardens, located in the former royal palace.
Reason to book now: Bali International Dragon Boat Race and Festival, located on Batur Lake, Kintamani, Bangli: May 26-29, 2016
6. Majorca, Spain – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Majorca: $213
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 28%
Majorca, the largest island in the Balearic region of eastern Spain, may make you think of beach resorts, but there are plenty of other ways to enjoy both its coastline and the rest of the island. Take your time exploring the hills of Serra de Tramuntana. Recently made a World Heritage Site, this mountain range, running down the west of Majorca, is perfect to be explored by foot or bicycle.
Reason to book now: Majorca Live Festival of Indie Rock, World Music, and Electronica: April 29-30, 2016
7. Mauritius, Africa – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Mauritius: $252
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 24%
The African island of Mauritius is often described as a sparkling crystal in the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean. The island’s pristine white beaches are protected by stunning coral reefs, which encircle almost the entire coastline. Mauritius is a melting pot of cultures and this is reflected in the diversity of cuisines on offer across the island. No trip to Mauritius is complete without a visit to Trou d’Argent Beach accessible via a short hike.
Reason to book now: World Cup Rugby 10s, located at Stade Anjalay, Pamplemousses: June 18-19, 2016
8. Phuket, Thailand – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Phuket: $87
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 39%
Already popular with Australian travellers, Phuket, Thailand offers picturesque beaches and lush rainforests, all whilst in easy reach of Australia. This fun island provides an unbeatable combination of jaw dropping scenery, superb hospitality and great value accommodation. Whether it's world-class diving in the Andaman Sea, golf at international-standard championship courses or exciting eco-adventures in tropical forests, Phuket is a place to extend your horizons.
Reason to book now: Baba Wedding Festival, located in the Phuket Old Town: June 2016
9. Bora Bora, French Polynesia – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Bora Bora: $828
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 9%
Bora Bora, is the one of the most sought-after destination for a magical trip in French Polynesia. With its surprising landscape combining high mountains and atoll sceneries, Bora Bora is named “the Pearl of the Pacific” thanks to its extreme beauty and paradise beaches. As a couple or with your family, for a honeymoon or just a vacation, Bora Bora offers everything that you can dream of in the same location. Be tempted by the original concept of the overwater bungalow, such as the ones bookable on TripAdvisor at the Sofitel Bora Bora Private Island, for a stay closer to the lagoon. The underwater life in the reefs around Bora Bora are world class and offer the perfect location, to snorkel and dive.
Reason to book now: Tahiti Pearl Regatta, located in Raiatea, Taha’a: May 2-7, 2016
10. Fernando de Noronha, Brazil – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Fernando de Noronha: $514
Average shoulder season savings during March - May: 17%
Fernando de Noronha, is a volcanic archipelago about 350 kilometres off Brazil's northeast coast. It is named after its largest island, a protected national marine park and ecological sanctuary with a jagged coastline and diverse ecosystems. Visit Baia de Sanco one of Brazil’s best diving spots where you can get close to sea turtles, rays, dolphins and reef sharks.
Reason to book now: Sea Turtle Nest Excursions, hosted by the National Centre for Conservation and Sea Turtle Management of Brazil: June 2016
Top 10 Islands in the South Pacific:
1. Bora Bora, French Polynesia – Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Bora Bora: $827
2. Viti Levu, Fiji - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Viti Levu: $175
3. Aitutaki, Cook Islands - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Aitutaki: $538
4. Taveuni Island, Fiji - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Taveuni Island: $926
5. Moorea, French Polynesia - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Moorea: $370
6. Efate, Vanuatu - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Efate: $203
7. Waiheke Island, New Zealand - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Waiheke Island: $550
8. Rarotonga, Cook Islands - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Rarotonga: $392
9. Lord Howe Island, Australia - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Lord Howe Island: $193
10. Norfolk Island, Australia - Average nightly rate of all hotels bookable on TripAdvisor in Norfolk Island: $154
For the complete list of winners from the 2016 Travellers’ Choice Islands, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos, go to: www.tripadvisor.com.au/TravelersChoice-Islands.
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel site**. Travellers can read millions of reviews and opinions and book their next trip at:www.tripadvisor.com.au.
Notes to editors:
1Average nightly rates of all bookable properties in each destination are based on TripAdvisor pricing data for April 1 through September 30, 2016, aggregated from booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers. Rates were converted to AUD via XE.com on 18 April 2016.