LONDON, UK, 6 December, 2016 – Mexico’s San Jose Del Cabo is today revealed as the top trending destination in the world for 2017 in the Travellers’ Choice awards for Destinations on the Rise announced by TripAdvisor, the travel planning and booking site.
San Jose del Cabo is located on the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula and boasts beautiful beaches and stunning colonial architecture. Not to be confused with its sister town, Cabo San Lucas which is known for its wild nightlife, San Jose del Cabo offers a much more relaxed pace.
Award-winners were determined by using an algorithm that primarily measured the year-over-year increase in positive TripAdvisor traveller ratings for accommodations, restaurants and attractions, and increase in booking interest, across destinations worldwide.
It seems Mexico has been piquing travellers’ interest of late as it’s the second year running that the South American country has had a destination topping the Destinations on the Rise list – last year the number one destination was Tulum.
In fact, it’s not just South America that’s doing well. The Americas overall are well represented this year with the region boasting four of the top five destinations in the world. San Jose del Cabo, Whistler in Canada, Brazil’s Jericoacoara and Kihei in Hawaii come in first, second, third, fourth and fifth respectively.
Topping the Europe list this year is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in Spain, followed by Tbilisi in Georgia.
“The results of this year’s awards show that the it’s the Americas that are particularly piquing traveller curiosity for 2017. While this part of the world has been established as a tourist hotspot for some time, there are lesser known destinations in the region that have seen a sharp rise in popularity and booking interest and are now opening up for exploration,” commented Hayley Coleman, TripAdvisor spokesperson.
Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise – World:
- Highly rated hotel: Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort, bookable on TripAdvisor for £735 per night
- Must see attraction: Los Cabos Combo Tour: Glass-Bottom Boat Ride, City Sightseeing and Shopping with Lunch, bookable on TripAdvisor from £61 per person
- Whistler, Canada Highly rated hotel: Nita Lake Lodge, bookable on TripAdvisor for £169 per night
- Must see attraction: Whistler Peak 2 Peak Gondola, bookable on TripAdvisor from £32 per person
- Jericoacoara, Brazil Highly rated hotel: Pousada Jeribá, bookable on TripAdvisor for £188 per night
- Must see attraction: Duna do Pôr do Sol
- Highly rated hotel: Maui Coast Hotel, bookable on TripAdvisor for £198 per night
- Must see attraction: Small-Group Molokini Snorkel and Green Sea Turtle Adventure from Maui, bookable on TripAdvisor from £109 per person
- Highly rated hotel: Hotel Badamdar Baku, bookable on TripAdvisor for £78 per night
- Must see attraction: Baku Old Town Walking Tour, bookable on TripAdvisor from £35 per person
- Highly rated hotel: El Nido Resorts Miniloc Island, bookable on TripAdvisor for £434 per night
- Must see attraction: Nacpan Beach
- Highly rated hotel: Herods Vitalis Spa Hotel Eilat, bookable on TripAdvisor for £393 per night
- Must see attraction: Timna Park
- Highly rated hotel: Reina Isabel Hotel, bookable on TripAdvisor for £140 per night
- Must see attraction: Vegueta Walking Tour Including Canarian Tapas, bookable on TripAdvisor from £23 per person
- Tbilisi, Georgia Highly rated hotel: Rooms Hotel Tbilisi, bookable on TripAdvisor for £140 per night
- Must see attraction: Full-Day Private Tour to Old Tbilisi and Mtskheta, bookable on TripAdvisor from £49 per person
- Highly rated hotel: Ratan Vilas, bookable on TripAdvisor for £60 per night
- Must see attraction: Private Full-Day City Tour of Jodhpur, bookable on TripAdvisor from £44 per person
Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise – Europe:
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
- Tbilisi, Georgia
- Malaga, Spain
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Kaliningrad, Russia
- Wroclaw, Poland
- Bologna, Italy
- Faro, Portugal
- Bucharest, Romania
- Rotterdam, The Netherlands
For the complete list of Destinations on the Rise award winners for 2017, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos, go to: www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravellersChoice-DestinationsontheRise.
Notes to editors:
Booking interest is measured by year-over-year increase hotel instant booking and meta activity on TripAdvisor from October 2015 – October 2016.
Highly-rated hotels have a minimum rating of four and a half, out of five bubbles on TripAdvisor. Average nightly hotel rates are based on TripAdvisor data for October 2015 – October 2016 for individual hotels. Rates are aggregated from booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers.
Converted from USD to GBP via xe.com on 01 December 2016
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site**, enabling travellers to unleash the potential of every trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travellers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find great hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 390 million average monthly unique visitors*, and reached 435 million reviews and opinions covering 6.8 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 49 markets worldwide. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP), through its subsidiaries, manages and operates websites under 24 other travel media brands:
www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.citymaps.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl, www.besttables.com and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com, and www.virtualtourist.com.
*Source: TripAdvisor log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2016
**Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, July 2016